How’s Banoi been treating ya?
1. Straight in, I’m loving the atmosphere of Dead Island. A tropical paradise gone utterly, terribly wrong is an awesome setting for a survival-horror game, and this feels fresh and new for someone who has been playing these kind of games for years.
2. The world is pretty, but the people aren’t. Everyone has a dead-eyed stare, whether they’re living or undead. All the women, bikinis notwithstanding, look haggard- of course, no one’s been able to put some makeup on since this crisis started.
3. Zombies respawn once you leave an area, but luckily, so do items and cash drops.
4. Whoever did the sound for this game ought to get a bonus. This game sounds damn scary. The roars and snarls of the undead will make you jittery and worried even if you’re a stone cold zombie killer vet.
5. Voice acting though is all over the place. Jamaican? Australian? Was that a Brooklyn Gangster accent?
6. Analog controls make the melee fighting in this game something special.
7. I think a missed opportunity in this game is a Day/Night cycle. Banoi would be ten times creepier in the dark, but then I guess it’s also a testament to how great the atmosphere is that they can get away with scares in broad daylight.
8. Annoyingly I found a gun as a reward from a quest but wasn’t able to pick it up for some reason (not high level enough?). Haven’t found a freakin’ gun since. Darn it!
9. The driving in this game is damn fun. Scratch that- the driving through zombies in this game is damn fun.
10. I’m still only at 13% Main Quest completion??? How long is this freakin’ game anyway?